Although most of the services or goods in UAE are taxed at 5% VAT , there are certain goods & services that are exempt from VAT as mentioned earlier. If a product or service is considered as exempt from VAT, it is because it’s essential.
VAT will be charged at 0% in respect of the following main categories of supplies:
- Exports of goods and services to outside the GCC
- International transportation, and related supplies
- Supplies of certain sea, air and land means of transportation (such as aircrafts and ships
- Certain investment grade precious metals (e.g. gold, silver, of 99% purity)
- Newly constructed residential properties, that are supplied for the first time within three years of their construction
- Supply of certain education services, and supply of relevant goods and services
- Supply of certain healthcare services, and supply of relevant goods and services
VAT- Exempt Sectors
The following categories of supplies will be exempt from VAT:
- The supply of some financial services (clarified in VAT legislation)
- Residential properties
- Bare land
- Local passenger transport
Where a VAT registered person incurs input tax on its business expenses, this input tax can be recovered in full if it relates to a taxable supply made, or intended to be made, by the registered person. In contrast, where the expense relates to a non-taxable supply (e.g. exempt supplies), the registered person may not recover the input tax paid.
In certain situations, an expense may relate to both taxable and non-taxable supplies made by the registered person (such as activities of the banking sector). In these circumstances, the registered person would need to apportion input tax between the taxable and non-taxable (exempt) supplies.
Businesses will be expected to use input tax (ratio of recoverable to total) as a basis for apportionment in the first instance although there will be the facility to use other methods where they are fair and agreed with the Federal Tax Authority.
VAT In Real Estate
The VAT treatment of real estate depends on whether it is a commercial or residential property. Supplies (including sales or leases) of commercial properties are taxable at the standard VAT rate (i.e. 5%).
On the other hand, supplies of residential properties are generally exempt from VAT. This ensures that VAT does not constitute an irrecoverable cost to those who buy their own properties. In order to ensure that real estate developers can recover VAT on construction of residential properties, the first supply of residential properties within three years of completion at the time of VAT introduction is zero-rated.
Very informative blog article. Thanks Again. Much obliged. Papagena Caldwell Graner
Hello. This article was extremely fascinating, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this issue last Monday. Abbey Kean Haman Marie-Ann Spenser Yursa
After looking over a few of the articles on your website, I seriously like your technique of blogging. I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my web site too and let me know what you think. Julienne Reece Madeleine