In the realm of UAE Value Added Tax (VAT), the central taxable event revolves around the act of supplying goods and services. This signifies that whenever a registered individual or entity engages in the provision of goods or services, it becomes incumbent to apply a 5% VAT charge. The comprehension of what ‘supply’ entails is crucial for every business, as it delineates the boundaries within which transactions become subject to VAT.
Defining ‘Supply’ in the context of UAE VAT:
The term ‘Supply’ encompasses all varieties of goods and services furnished by a registered taxable entity within the jurisdiction of the United Arab Emirates in exchange for a consideration, and within the course of conducting a business. When dissecting the definition of supply, it becomes apparent that it comprises five pivotal elements, as outlined below:
In order to ascertain whether a transaction falls within the purview of VAT, each of these constituent components necessitates thorough consideration. Let us delve into these elements in greater detail:
**Supply in the Context of UAE VAT:**
– **Supply of Goods and Services:** This encompasses taxable supplies, supplies that are subject to the Reverse Charge Mechanism, and the importation of goods, all of which fall under the scope of VAT levy. Exempt supplies, on the other hand, do not come under the VAT levy.
– **Supplied by a Registered Taxable Person:** The supply must be made by an individual or entity registered under VAT, or by an entity obligated to undergo such registration.
– **Supplied in the State of UAE:** VAT becomes applicable only when the supplies are executed within the geographical boundaries of the United Arab Emirates. The determination of whether a supply occurs within the UAE or not hinges on the Place of Supply.
– **Supplied for a Consideration:** In this context, ‘consideration’ encompasses anything, whether already collected or to be collected by the taxable supplier from the customer or a third party in exchange for the provision of goods or services. This consideration is inclusive of the VAT amount.
– **Supplied in the Course of Conducting Business:** The concept of ‘business’ encompasses a wide spectrum of activities conducted on a regular and ongoing basis by any individual or entity, regardless of the location. It encompasses a broad range of activities, including industrial, commercial, agricultural, professional, service-oriented, excavation activities, or anything associated with the utilization of tangible or intangible property.
You can also register for VAT Registration on our website: